For this week's Surname Saturday, I am focusing my great-grandfather's surname, which was Evans. Each person is identified by the Ahnentafel numbering system used on pedigree charts.
1. Kathryn Lake
3. My mother
7. Dorothy May EVANS was born August 1903 in Walsall, Staffordshire, England. She was the youngest daughter of Robert Bailey EVANS and Edith WHITEHOUSE. She immigrated to Canada with her parents and older sister, Edie in 1905. She was married to 6. Joseph Brinley GEORGE on 28 March 1931 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. She died on 20 August 1981 in Windsor, Ontario. They are both buried at Victoria Memorial Gardens in Oldcastle, Ontario.
14. Robert Bailey/Birley EVANS was born 16 July 1865 in Walsall, Staffordshire, England. There has always been a bit of confusion about his middle name. Robert always thought his middle name was Bailey, and this was the name he used all his life. However, when he requested a correction to his birth registration, he discovered that his birth name was Robert Birley Evans. This makes sense because his mother's maiden name was Birley. Robert was married 8 October 1892 in Walsall, Staffordshire to Edith Whitehouse. The family immigrated to Canada in 1905. He died 14 April 1948 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and is buried at St. John's Norwary Cemetery in Toronto.
15. Edith WHITEHOUSE was born 23 May 1867 in Walsall, Staffordshire. She and Robert were married 8 October 1892 in Walsall. She died 14 July 1932 in Toronto, Ontario. She is laid to rest with her husband, Robert. Together they had three children:
........i. Edith May EVANSwas born 7 May 1894 in Walsall. She died 5 December 1895 from measles.
.......ii. Edie EVANSwas born 13 October 1896 in Walsall. She immigrated to Canada in 1905 with her parents and younger sister, May. She was never married and had no children. She died in 1972 and is buried with her parents at St. John's Norway Cemetery in Toronto, Ontario.
....7..iii. Dorothy May EVANS (as above)
28. William EVANS was born in 1837, and was christened 24 September 1837 at St. Matthew's Church in Walsall, Staffordshire, England. He died 10 July 1885 in Walsall.
29. Elizabeth BIRLEY was born in 1839 in West Appledore near Bideford, Devon, England. She was married to William in 1865 in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire. Eliza died 24 July 1910 in Walsall. Together they had four children:
........i. John EVANS was born about 1864 or 1865. He was married to a woman named Harriet. They had three children:
.................i.i John EVANS born about 1885 in Walsall.
.............. ..i.ii William L. EVANS born about 1889 in Walsall.
............ ...i.iii Ernest EVANS born about 1894 in Walsall.
..14..ii. Robert Bailey EVANS (as above)
......iii. Ann EVANS was born about 1870 in Walsall. She was married to James JOHNSON in 1890. They had three children:
..............iii.i John Thomas JOHNSON born 1894.
..............iii.ii Robert Richard JOHNSON born 1896.
..............iii.iii Francis Joseph JOHNSON born 1897.
.......iv. Richard EVANS was born March 1871 in Walsall.
56. Richard EVANS was born about 1812 in Walsall. He was a stone mason.
57. Maria ____ was born about 1808 in Walsall. She died 20 May 1869 in Walsall. They had five children:
........i. Charles EVANS was christened 24 April 1836 in Walsall. He was buried 18 July 1839 in Walsall.
..28..ii. William EVANS (as above)
........iii. Maria EVANS was christened 16 December 1838 in Walsall.
........iv. Mary Ann EVANS was christened 20 March 1842 in Walsall.
........v. Richard EVANS was christened 18 May 1845 in Walsall. He was married to Harriet HOWELLS in 1871. They had six children:
..............v.i. Julia Mary M. EVANS was born September 1873 in Atcham, Shropshire, England.
..............v.ii Frank Howells EVANS was born 2nd Quarter, 1875 in Walsall. He married Lizzie HALL in 1900.
..............v.iii Harriet May EVANS was born 19 May 1877 in Walsall. She was christened 2 November 1879 in Walsall. She was married to Henry Thomas LANCHBURY in 1907 in Kings Norton, Worcestershire, England.
..............v.iv Margaret Helen EVANS was born 23 September 1879 in Walsall. She was christened 2 November 1879 in Walsall.
..............v.v Richard Percy EVANS was born in 1881 in Walsall.
..............v.vi Kate Dora EVANS was born in 1884 in Walsall.
112. Evan EVANS was christened 24 September 1798 in Walsall.
113. Martha ______ died in 1843 in Walsall.
If you are researching this EVANS family of Walsall, Staffordshire, England, please contact me. I would be glad to hear from you.
Copyright 2010 by Kathryn Lake.